Curd rice or Daddojanam recipe is a popular rice recipe all across south india. This is the most simple and delicious rice delicacy made in a short time.
This is also called as dahi or yogurt rice in common terms. These kind of rice recipes are quick and can be made instantly which require basic ingredients already available in every Indian kitchen.
It requires quite a few ingredients and is the most simple dish with just a little bit of curd available handy.
This rice recipe is popularly called as daddojanam in andhra pradesh and thayir sadam in tamil nadu region. Thayir means 'curd/yogurt' and daddojanam is a curd rice in which mashed rice is mixed with curd and tempered.
The tempering that is given to the curd rice should be very minimal and light. Giving too much of tempering spoils the flavor of the simple and plain curd rice.
I have observed that this special rice recipe is made during festivals down south.
Eating plain curd definitely gets boring sometimes but giving it a different touch by tempering and serving it by mixing some sweet fruits really lifts up its flavors and tastes yummy.
Serving these type of rice recipes also delights the kids. Having curd in our daily diet in some form or the other is good for health too.
Including it in the form of butter milk or or raita gives a boost for our health and keeps our tummy cool.
Thayir sadam is the best form of eating curd in our daily diet which takes a couple of minutes to make it.
Here I have pressure cooked the rice but the rice can be cooked in normal way too. All we need to do is mash the cooked rice well by a masher or using hands. Mix the curd or yogurt into the rice and give an aromatic tempering.
Video Procedure :
How to make curd rice or thayir sadam:
Curd Rice Recipe South Indian, Thayir Sadam | Daddojanam Recipe
For the tempering:
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ tsp chana dal bengal gram
- ½ tsp urad dal split black gram
- 2 green chillies vertically slit
- 2 dried red chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
For cooking rice:
- 1 cup rice
- salt - to taste
- 3 cups water
- 3-4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
Cook the rice:
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker or cooking vessel, add 1 cup of washed rice, add 3 cups of water and salt as per taste.
- Pressure cook the rice for about 2-3 whistles or cook the rice normally.
- The cooked rice should be mushy.
- Transfer the cooked rice in a bowl, mash the rice well.
- Add yogurt, mix and mash the rice well.
- Add salt if required.
- Give the tempering as mentioned in the below steps.
Give the tempering:
- In a wok add oil and heat it.
- Into it add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add chana dal and urad dal and saute well.
- Add slit green chillies and stir well.
- Add dried red chillies and saute well.
- Add curry leaves and allow them to crackle.
- Add the mashed curd rice to this tempering.
- Mix the rice with tempering.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish and serve with pomegranate seeds.
- Curd rice is ready!!!
2.Always mash the cooked rice before adding yogurt.
3. Never add tempering ingredients for this rice in more quantity.
4.It tastes good if eaten by mixing pomegranate seeds or any sweet flavored fruits into it.