Idli Batter Recipe is the most useful batter for breakfasts to make idlis down south. In this post of mine I am going to take you with the directions of making a smooth idli dosa batter recipe which is made using idly rice.
I have also posted a separate article on how to make dosa batter too which is a simple and easy process…which can be used to make various dosa recipes such as masala dosa , egg dosa, onion dosa and other breakfast recipes.
The idli batter or we can say it as idli dosa batter is used as a multipurpose batter to make idli, dosa, uttapam and pongal. This idli batter helps in making soft idlis and spongy too.
The process is lengthy but the ingredients required are quite few. Idli batter can be made in two ways one is with idli rice which I have posted now and the other one is with idli rava.
Using both kinds of batter gives us a soft idli batter and the idlis too turn out soft. A little patience is needed as it takes many hours to soak and blend the batter. The batter again needs to be kept for fermentation too.
The idli dosa batter can be kept for the next two days and can be used to make dosa as well and the dosa turns out amazing and very yummy.
It saves our time if large quantity of batter is made and stored in air tight container and use it for the next two days. I prefer to make idlis only during weekends as the batter is a multipurpose batter and it can be used to make idli one day and dosa the next day…
Many request for a soft idli batter recipe and I thought of giving them detailed instructions to make soft idli batter recipe in a detailed manner….
Idli Rice is easily available in the super markets of India or one can also use boiled rice if idli rice is not available…… Follow the simple steps of idli batter given below and you are on your way to make wonderful idlis!!!
Idli rice is small in size and very thick usually available in supermarkets. Boiled rice almost appears the size of ordinary rice but it is a boiled rice. We have to use either idli rice or boiled rice to get soft idlis.
Use a mixer grinder or a wet grinder to make a smooth batter of the ingredients that are soaked…
Below is the detailed recipe on How To Make Idli Batter Recipe with Idli Rice:
Idli Batter Recipe With Rice, How To Make Idli Batter
- 2 cups - idli rice or boiled rice
- 1 cup urad dal split black gram or whole balck gram
- 1 cup - cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds methi seeds
- salt - to taste
- Firstly, wash the idli rice very well, transfer it in a container, add enough water and soak it for about 7-8 hours.
- Wash the urad dal and soak it in water for about 7-8 hours.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water.
Blending and Fermentation:
- Once all the ingredients are soaked its time to blend them.
- Add idli rice in a blender and blend it by gradually adding very water into it and make a very smooth fine paste.
- Transfer it in a large container.
- Add urad dal and methi seeds together in a blender, gradually add very little water and blend into a fine smooth paste.
- Also add cooked rice into the urad dal methi paste and blend again.
- Add this paste to the idli rice batter.
- Cover the batter tightly with the lid.
- Ferment it for about 8 - 10 hours or overnight.
- Divide the batter accordingly for making idli and store the rest of the batter in refrigerator.
- Add salt into the batter that is set aside for making idli and use it for making idli.
- The batter stored in the refrigerator can be used to make dosa and uttapam for rest of the weekdays by adding some salt into it.
- This multi purpose batter if stored well in refrigerator, can be used for 3-4 days.
2.Next day use the same batter to make dosas as the batter gets little sour to make idlis. Therefore second day use it to make dosas.
3. While making dosa one can add a tsp of chick pea flour and a pinch of sugar to the batter to bring a golden brown colour while making the dosa.
4.The same batter can be used to make uttapam and pongal.
5.There is always a discussion whether to add salt before fermentation or after fermentation but, I always add after fermentation.
6.Even if salt is added before fermentation not to worry as it doesn't make any difference.
7.As cooked rice is added into the batter make sure the batter is not stored for many days in refrigerator. Use it for 3-4 days.