Moong dal halwa or moong ki daal ka halwa is a special occasion sweet recipe made using soaked moong dal and can also be made without soaking moong dal.
Not only diwali special recipes but this blog also has some more delicious and yummy sweets and desserts such as badam milk, qubani ka meetha, a very popular muslim dessert again, semiya payasam which is made using vermicelli and milk.
Here I have used yellow moong dal and to make the sweet recipe which needs basic ingredients that are required usually to prepare a sweet.
Since diwali is around the corner I decided to share a delightful dessert that is usually preferred during this special occasion.
It is quite easy to make and a very simple halwa recipe. All we need is some sugar, moong dal and some saffron strands, elaichi to make this dish.
I have posted a video too inorder to make the halwa making procedure a bit easy to understand.
There are various desserts and sweets across India that are made during occasions and every region across India makes amazing varieties of desserts and sweets.
Yellow moong dal is a very healthy lentil and there are many recipes that can be made using yellow lentils that is moong dal in the form of dal khichdi, dal fry or any moong dessert.
This moong dal halwa is very easy to prepare but one important step is to soak the dal for few hours or overnight for it to get cooked quickly.
All we need to do is make a paste of soaked dal and then cook the dal until it is roasted finely with good change in color and lastly sugar syrup has to be added to make it into a dessert with some dry fruits.
Yellow moong dal is easily available in India and halwa is made in many ways and shall be posting various other halwa recipes as I keep posting other halwa recipes.
Watch the video procedure for making moong dal halwa:
moong dal halwa recipe or moong ki daal ka halwa :
moong dal halwa recipe | moong ki daal ka halwa
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 4 tsp ghee/clarified butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3-4 saffron strands soaked in milk
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder/elaichi powder
- 2 tbsp finely sliced cashewnuts and almonds
How to make paste for moong dal halwa:
- Firstly wash the yellow moong dal and soak it in water for about 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the excess water after soaking.
- Take a blender, add all the yellow moong dal, do not add any water and blend the dal into a paste.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl and rest aside.
Prepare the sugar syrup:
- Take a pan, into it add half a cup milk, half a cup water and half a cup sugar.
- Mix and cook the syrup on low flame until the sugar dissolves well.
- Rest the sugar syrup aside for further use.
Making of moong ki dal ka halwa:
- Take a wok or a non stick pan.
- Add 4-5 tsp ghee and heat it.
- Add the blended paste of moong dal into it and stir continuously.
- Roast the dal for about 30-35 minutes on low flame by stirring it continuously.
- There should not be any water left in the dal while roasting and the dal should achieve a nice golden color as we keep roasting.
- When the dal is roasted well, add the sugar syrup that has been made.
- Add the finely sliced dry fruits such as cashewnuts and almonds.
- Add cardamom powder/elaichi powder and mix well.
- Add saffron strands that have been soaked in some milk.
- Stir the halwa continuously for few minutes on low flame until the halwa thickens.
- Make sure the halwa is not too thick and not too dry while thickening it.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve the halwa in a bowl or a plate.