Tandoori chicken in oven or chicken tandoori oven baked is a delicious chicken delicacy baked in oven with marinated chicken.
There are many indian chicken varieties on the blog ranging from starters to curries to special rice recipes using chicken such as chicken pakora, palak chicken, dahi chicken, chicken do pyaza, chicken changezi, murgh makhani, chicken butter masala, chicken seekh kabab , chicken tikka , chicken pulao etc…
About Tandoori Chicken baked in the oven:
This is a perfectly restaurant style of a chicken recipe made by marinating the chicken with spices and yogurt.
The chicken used to make this recipe can be used as a whole or can be made by using just chicken leg quarters.
Here, I have used chicken leg quarters which is usually the quarter leg portion of the chicken.
The marination spice mixture is separately mixed with spices and yogurt and then coated to the whole chicken.
The chicken is then set to rest for 1 or 2 hours in the refrigerator in order to let all the spices absorb well and give a good taste to the chicken.
The marinated chicken should be cooked on both sides in the oven for at least an hour for it to cook well and become soft and juicy from inside.
This cooking which is done here in the oven can also be made without oven and I have already shared this recipe to make the tandoori chicken recipe without oven.
Ingredients that are required to make the chicken:
The spices that are used are basic and we just need to mix the spices with the yogurt and use any oil preferably mustard oil if making it in a traditional method.
If living abroad and finding spices in stores is difficult then do make use of tandoori chicken masala which is readily available in markets.
Just add salt and tandoori masala to yogurt and mix everything well and apply to the chicken and marinate for few hours before placing in the oven.
The adding of oil to the marinade is essential as it helps in holding all the spices and the masala to the chicken well.
Difficult or simple?
This is one simple and quick baked chicken recipe which is simple and can be made by anyone and not necessarily in oven.
Just take a heavy bottom pan , add little oil plus butter and heat it and then add the marinated chicken to the pot or pan and cook well on both sides and keep flipping either sides until they get cooked well and it takes about 45 minutes for it get cooked on pan on medium to low heat.
Best accompaniments to the chicken:
This recipe of tandoori chicken in oven is basically a starter dish and instead of using chicken leg quarters one can make use of chicken drumsticks as well to make this recipe.
It can also be served along with paratha recipes or roti recipes or can be accompanied as a fried dish to many main course recipes.
You can even enjoy it with parotta recipe which is a kerala style of making paratha which is normally eaten with curries but can even be tried with flat chicken starters along with other side dishes.
Some tips before making:
- Clean all the fat or remove the skin on the chicken if there is any skin left on the chicken pieces.
- Wash the chicken well with turmeric and lemon extract in order to get rid of any smell.
Do check out the video too for the special baked chicken tandoori recipe below:
How to make tandoori chicken in oven:
tandoori chicken in oven, indian baked chicken
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 3 tbsp thick yogurt or curd
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala powder
- 2 tsp lemon extracted juice
- a pinch of orange food color
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp dried kasoori methi
- Wash the chicken leg quarters well.
- Take the chicken leg quarters, make slight cuts to the chicken.
- Add yogurt into a mixing bowl, add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste.
- Add garam masala powder, chaat masala powder, orange food color, lemon extract, oil.
- Mix all these ingredients well.
- Take the chicken and coat it well with all the masala.
- Cover and marinate the chicken for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F or 180° C.
- Take a baking tray and cover it with an aluminium foil.
- Place a baking wire rack on the tray.
- Place the marinated chicken on the wire rack.
- Put it in the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes in the oven.
- Take the chicken out, apply butter to the chicken.
- Flip the chicken and apply butter to it again.
- Cook for another 30 minutes in the oven.
- Take it out from the oven and it is ready to be served with a dip or enjoy as a starter.
- Instead of chicken leg quarters, chicken drumsticks or whole chicken can be used to make the same recipe using the same procedure.
- Additional spices such as kali mirch powder or black pepper powder can be added in the marinade for more flavors.