Aloo matar is a punjabi authentic curry which is widely served with roti and rice.
It is a traditional curry where aloo and matar are combined together and made like a curry. It uses onion tomato gravy as the main base to get a silky smooth curry.
This is a quite popular vegetable combination all across northern india and aloo matar can be made in various forms.
Sometimes, aloo matar curry is made like a gravy, some make it as a fry, some make it in dry form and each variation tastes amazingly delicious.
Aloo can be used to make number of recipes and its a favorite veggie for almost everyone and matar too can be used to make various recipes.
If one prefers to make use of these veggies in a healthy manner then, do boil these vegetables and add into the cooked onion tomato gravy.
Here, I have made it in the form of gravy which can be used to serve with both roti, poori or rice.
There are many ways in which veggies can be combined but, aloo mutter is a very popular combination of vegetables.
I love to combine veggies and try side dishes that are perfect with roti or poori and this is something that I usually make and serve my family.
Here, I have made the curry by using a pressure cooker as it helps the cooking process speed up and we can also follow the slow cooking process if we are in no rush and also to bring out the perfect flavors.
Below are the recipe details on how to quickly make aloo matar masala gravy with a video procedure and step by step details.
Video procedure to make aloo matar curry:
How to make aloo matar recipe or aloo matar curry:
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 medium size onions, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 medium size potatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup matar/green peas
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, let them crackle.
- Add finely chopped onions, chopped green chillies, mix and saute until onions turn soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix and cook until the masala is cooked well and oil starts separating.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix and cook the tomatoes until they turn soft.
- Cook the onion tomato gravy until oil starts appearing at the sides.
- Add diced potatoes, mix well.
- Add matar/green peas into it, mix and cook for 4-5 minutes until oil starts appearing.
- Add 2 cups of water, chopped coriander leaves, mix well.
- Pressure cook the curry for 3 whistles or cook them until they get soft and tender.
- Reduce the steam and open the lid.
- Aloo matar curry is ready to be served with roti and rice.
2. If not using pressure cooking method then, cook the curry until the aloo and the matar turns soft by following the slow cooking method.