Onion tomato chutney recipe is the most popular chutney down south and is a very flavorful and spicy chutney which takes in very few ingredients along with regular tempering.
Other chutney recipes on the blog are green chilli chutney, til ki chutney, gongura chutney, beerakaya pachadi or ridge gourd chutney, sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney , dosakaya pachadi , peanut chutney or groundnut chutney etc…
This onion tomato chutney goes well with roti or dosa or idli or even rice. Its the perfect accompaniment down south for even breakfast recipes. Along with this chutney coconut chutney too tastes best with idli/dosa/vada/uttapam etc…
The recipe requires basic ingredients like onions, tomatoes, green chillies and tamarind for a tangy flavor and these ingredients are the key ingredients for any kind of chutney made using vegetables.
Chutneys are quite popular in south india and every meal is incomplete without any kind of chutney recipe and pickles and fries. Chutneys are very filling and go very well with rice too…
Down south people love to prefer chutneys with hot rice and ghee and this combination is quite filling and very yummy and delicious and a must try chutney recipe.
This onion tomato chutney is even more delicious if tempering is given to the chutney recipe which actually brings out the flavors of the recipe….
Do check out the details and instructions on how to make onion tomato chutney for idli, dosa, uttapams, rice etc… which is totally a south indian style onion tomato chutney recipe.
How to make onion tomato chutney recipe below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal/split black gram/mina pappu
- 2 dried red chillies
- 4-5 medium size onions thickly sliced
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes thickly sliced
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- 4-5 long tamarind pieces
- salt - to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp urad dal
- ¼ tsp chana dal/bengal gram(optional)
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Firstly, in a wok, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add cumin seeds, urad dal/split black gram, dried red chillies and stir well.
- Into it add green chillies and stir.
- Into it add sliced onions and mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind pieces and cook for 5-10 minutes on sim flame until all the ingredients turn soft.
- Cool down the whole mixture.
- In a blender, add all the ingredients, add salt according to taste.
- Blend the mixture until the chutney turns soft and transfer the chutney in a bowl.
- In a sauce pan, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add urad dal, chana dal and stir.
- Add dried red chillies and mix well.
- Add curry leaves too and let them crackle.
- Transfer the tadka/tempering onto the chutney.
- Serve the chutney with plain hot rice and ghee!!!