Aloo Poha recipe is a maharashtrian snack recipe apart from kanda poha and is a hugely popular snack dish made using flattened rice and potato and so is called as potato poha recipe.
Poha basically is a flattened rice or beaten rice usually called as poha in marathi and is mostly called as aval in tamil and atukulu in telugu.
This snack recipe is also eaten as a breakfast recipe in that region. I have already shared kanda poha where I have used onions but here in this recipe I have used aloo which is usually called as batata in marathi or aloo in hindi.
This recipe too is a quick poha recipe and in this aloo poha recipe we add boiled and mashed potatoes which interestingly gives a very delicious flavor.
The poha has to be washed twice or thrice and if washed many times it turns out soggy and does not taste well. The poha is available as thin poha or thick poha and to make this recipe we make use of thick flattened rice.
Poha can be made into many recipes and they are good to give it to kids as a quick breakfast dish or as evening snacks when they return from a tiring day from school.
All we need to have is boiled potatoes handy and the dish is ready in minutes. The ingredients that go into making aloo poha are quite basic and regular tadka giving ingredients.
The color of the recipe is so tempting that one can never resist trying it out and treating family members with this breakfast cum snack recipe…
The poha selection while buying has to be from a good quality brand to get the right texture and flavor…
How to make aloo poha recipe below:
Aloo Poha Recipe, Kanda Batata Poha Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup poha/beaten rice or flattened rice
- 1 potato medium size boiled peeled and mashed well.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chillies
- 7-8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 medium size onions finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp extracted lemon juice
- Firstly, add poha in a strainer, wash it twice under running water and strain the water out completely.
- Set the washed poha aside.
- Also keep the mashed potatoes handy.
- In a wok, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add chopped green chillies.
- Add curry leaves into it.
- Add finely chopped onions into it and stir well for few seconds.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add turmeric powder into it and mix well.
- Add mashed potatoes into it and mix the mixture well.
- Add poha and mix it with the potato mixture.
- Lastly, add in some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Add some lemon extract all over the poha and mix.
- Cook it for a minute until the poha gets heated on low heat.
- Serve with sev or grated coconut!!!