Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is a Kerala style chicken curry recipe and is a traditional recipe down south in the Kerala region. This chicken curry which is just named a nadan may bring it as a unique chicken curry but the ingredients that go into making it are quite basic and easily available at home.
Check out some more south indian chicken recipes :
I was so glad to try this recipe for the very first time and it simply turned awesome...
I couldn't wait to share this chicken recipe with the readers as it is a Kerala special dish and my attempt to make this recipe turned out as a great and fantastic experience in regional cooking.
I would love to try out many more regional recipes and share it with my blog readers and cannot wait to receive feedbacks.
This nadan chicken curry is made with coconut and the same recipe can be made without using coconut milk or its paste.
The curry requires too many ingredients and it is full of spices and a great recipe to have it with roti or rice. I love this recipe with rotis or parathas.
The kerala cuisine is so wonderful and it has number of recipes to be tried and the main ingredient used in every recipe in the Kerala region is coconut in any form.
However, that is the traditional way of cooking Kerala recipes but the ingredient can be skipped and can be tried in various versions.
Here I have not used coconut oil while making the dish and used normal edible oil instead. However, edible coconut oil can be used to make the wonderful nadan chicken curry.
Check out the recipe details below on how to make the kerala style curry.
Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe
- 750 gms chicken cut into pieces and washed well
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 cup coconut milk/ 2 tbsp coconut paste
- ½ tsp chicken masala powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves for garnishing
For Dry Roasting:
- 1 - bayleaf
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6-7 black pepper corns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Firstly, take a skillet, heat it, dry roast bayleaf, coriander seeds, black pepper corns, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves for few seconds, cool and blend into a powder and put it aside for later usage.
- In a cooking utensil, add 2 tbsp ediblle oil/coconut oil and heat it.
- Add sliced onions and saute them for few minutes till translucent.
- Add slit green chillies and stir well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and roast it well for few minutes.
- Add salt according to your taste, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Add the roasted ingredients powder into it, add chicken masala powder, mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Add coconut milk/coconut paste into the curry, mix it well, cook until chicken gets tender.
- Lastly, add garam masala powder into it, mix it.
- Add the below tempering to the chicken curry.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a tadka pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add dried red chillies into it.
- Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Add this tadka into the chicken curry and mix.
- Add coriander leaves and garnish.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with roti and rice.
2. Coconut paste also can be replaced with coconut milk.
3. Coconut paste/coconut milk can be skipped and made a plain form of curry only with roasted spices.