Potato curry shared with a video procedure here is suitable to be eaten with rice, roti or poori. If you are looking for more gravy recipes to be eaten with roti, paratha or naan then do try paneer tikka masala, paneer butter masala, matar paneer etc…
It is a pure veg curry made using diced potatoes in onion tomato gravy. This aloo curry is widely made all across south india and it can be made with many variations.
In some parts aloo curry is slightly tempered at the beginning of the cooking process but here I have not given any tempering and made the curry suitable to be made in all parts of India.
We often use aloo to make various recipes and aloo is one such vegetable with which number of recipes can be made in every form.
I can’t end the list of making aloo recipes and it is one of the favorite vegetables for most of them.
I would love to update many more aloo recipes on the blog as I continue blogging.
Here, to make potato curry, I have added onions and tomatoes chopped and this gives a good gravy to the curry. If more gravy is required then, we can add little more water to the curry to get a perfect gravy consistency.
If we want the gravy to thicken, slow cook the gravy and it thickens completely.
All the veg curry recipes are very simple and easy in making procedure and requires few ingredients to make.
Below are the recipe details to make this delicious potato curry in gravy form along with a video procedure.
Video procedure to make yummy potato curry:
How to make potato curry or potato gravy:
potato curry recipe | aloo curry | potato gravy for chapathi
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 2-3 vertically slit green chillies
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 potatoes peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 3 to matoes chopped
- 2 cups water approx...
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, in a wok, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add chopped onions and saute for few seconds.
- Add slit green chillies and cook until the onions turn soft and translucent.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, mix up well and cook until the masala leaves oil at the sides.
- Add diced potatoes, mix up well and cook for few minutes.
- Add curry leaves, mix well and cook for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
- Add water into the curry, mix well.
- Adjust salt if required.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, mix and cook until the potatoes turn soft and tender.
- Check to see whether the aloo has turned soft.
- Once it has turned soft, switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice, roti or chapathi.
- Watch the video procedure above.
2.After adding water and coriander leaves, just pressure cook the curry and its done...
3.Adding curry leaves into the curry is totally optional and can be skipped if not required.
4.I have added chopped tomatoes, but one can even add tomato puree instead of tomatoes to make the gravy.
5.A pinch of crushed kasuri methi too can be added at the end to enhance the fragrance and flavor of the curry.