Gongura Pappu Recipe is an andhra style dal pappu recipe which is made using sorrel leaves or gongura leaves along with pappu. Pappu is a term for ‘Dal’ in telugu lingo and gongura pappu is a dal made using gongura leaves or ambada leaves and toor dal.
Related Pappu Recipes:
Gongura pappu or ambada dal or sorrel leaves is a very common recipe which you can find it down south especially in the andhra region. I occasionally make this recipe and whenever I make it , it simply turns awesome and best when eaten with rice.
Whenever dal is made at home, we prefer to eat it with either pickles, papad or any veg stir fry recipe. Dal is a very simple everyday Indian meal which can never get boring as Indians try to make many many different recipes with dal and gongura pappu recipe is one of them.
Dal recipes are quite common down south and I often find different dal recipes being tried with various green leafy vegetables and also dal recipes are tried with vegetables.
Gongura leaves are very sour in taste and one has to carefully use gongura in gongura pappu recipe as the chances of the dal turning sour are high when the leaves are used in more quantity.
Here in this recipe I have used toor dal but chana dal too can be used to make this wonderful recipe ….
I would love to make various dal recipes and post them on my blog as I keep updating it. My liking for dal recipes will always be there as my family is very fond of dals like khatti dal, palak dal or tomato dal etc….
Keep watching my space as there would be many dal recipes coming up in the days to come…
Below would be the recipe of authentic andhra style dal recipe also called as gogura pappu or dal made with ambada leaves. Do try the recipe as this is a wonderful variation of dal recipe made with green leafy vegetable. Do include leaves in your diet as they are very healthy and nutritious…
Make sure to pluck the leaves of the sorrel leaves before one starts making the dal as plucking the leaves needs time. Also watch the making procedure along with the video below…
Gongura Pappu Recipe Below:
- 2 cups - toor dal(pigeon pea)
- 5 -6 green chillies
- 3 - 4 tomatoes sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 11/2 large bowl of gongura leaves/sorrel leaves
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste(totally optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3 - 4 dried red chillies
- 5 - 6 curry leaves
- Firstly, take a pressure cooker, into it add washed toor dal, add green chillies.
- Add sliced tomatoes, add turmeric powder, add a tsp of oil.
- Add about 2 cups of water and pressure cook for about 4 - 5 whistles until dal gets tender.
- Reduce the steam, add salt and mash the dal and rest it aside.
- Take a cooking pot or pressure cooker.
- Add the gongura leaves into it, add sliced onion into it.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder.
- Add ginger garlic paste as an optional ingredient.
- Add about half a cup of water and give a mix.
- Cook until the leaves get soft or cook for about 3 - 4 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Slightly mash the leaves.
- Now mix the mashed dal and the mashed gongura leaves together.
- Check for salt consistency.
- If required add little water if the dal is thick.
- Take a tadka pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add dried red chillies and stir well.
- Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Transfer the tadka into the dal.
- Serve the dal recipe with plain rice!!!
Also add asafoetida/hing if preferred at the start of the tempering.
Making Procedure of Gongura Pappu Recipe with Video: