chicken gravy recipe for rice, a masala gravy with onions, tomatoes and nuts paste cooked with chicken.
This is a heavy gravy chicken which has many ingredients that go into making it and is a perfect gravy for rice, chapati, roti or paratha or parotta.
This gravy is neither sweet nor spicy and has a very balanced flavor and the texture is just perfectly suitable to be eaten with indian flat breads.
How to make this chicken gravy recipe:
To make the gravy we make use of sliced onions which are basically made into brown and then we use puree of tomatoes.
The gravy also uses paste of nuts such as almond, cashew nuts and desiccated coconut paste which makes a good gravy of the curry.
Different ingredients required to make the indian gravy chicken:
Onions: Here, in this gravy, we make use of onions that are sliced finely and which are cooked until brown and not transparent onions.
Tomatoes: Tomatoes here are blended well into a puree and added which gives the main base to the gravy and also adds to the sour flavor of the curry.
Cashew nuts: These are commonly called as ‘kaju’ and are highly used to make creamy and heavy gravies which are shahi and here to make a dish apt for roti or paratha I have made use of kaju in it.
Almonds: These are commonly called as ‘badam’ and are usually used in gravies to get a delicious and mughlai flavor to the curries be it veg or non veg curries.
Coconut: In the gravy, I have made use of desiccated which is slightly roasted along with kaju and badam to get rid of raw smell in the gravy. Do not use more amount of coconut as the gravy becomes a bit sweeter.
Spices: I have made use of basic spices such as salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, kali mirch powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste which form the main base of the gravy in Indian curries.
Sauces: This gravy is made in such a way that it can be useful to make during special occasions and therefore, I have made use of special ingredients such as sauces to make it more rich.
The sauces that have been used are red chilli sauce, green chilli sauce and tomato sauce which completely gives the gravy a flavor that could be used to make during weddings or during festivities.
Other ingredients: Red food color is added to get red color gravy and it can also be replaced with kashmiri red chili powder which gives an amazing red color to the gravy.
Note: Here, I have used puree of tomatoes, but tomatoes can be replaced with a cup of yogurt/curd which makes a yummy substitute and also makes the gravy super delicious.
Check the step by step details for the recipe procedure and also do check out the video process to make the yummy gravy.
Check out the recipe video below:
How to make chicken gravy recipe:
Chicken Gravy Recipe, Indian Gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 2 cloves ( loung)
- 2 small cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
- 3 onions (finely sliced)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 500 gms chicken (cleaned and washed)
- salt – to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 15 cashew nuts (kaju)
- 15 almonds (badam)
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- salt salt – to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- a pinch of red food color
- 1 tsp green chilli sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce
- 1 tsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
Making of nuts paste:
- Roast cashewnuts, almonds, desiccated coconut for few minutes and let them cool.
- Add them into a blender, make a fine paste of all the three ingredients by adding little water.
Make Tomato Puree:
- Add chopped tomatoes into the blender and make a fine puree of the tomatoes.
Making of the chicken gravy:
- Take a wok or cooking utensil, add oil and heat it.
- Add cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and cook the onions until they turn slight golden brown by stirring in between.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add the chicken into it and roast until the color of chicken changes.
- Add spices such as salt as per taste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Cook for few minutes on low flame.
- Add the blended tomato puree into it.
- Cook the tomato masala for few minutes on low flame until oil releases the sides.
- Add the blended kaju, badam and coconut paste into it and give a mix.
- Add the spices such as black pepper powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt and red food color.
- Mix well and cook everything on low flame for 10-15 minutes or until the masala cooks well.
- Add sauces such as red chilli sauce, green chilli sauce and tomato sauce.
- Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes on low flame or until chicken gets tender.
- Switch off the flame.
- Lastly, add freshly chopped coriander leaves and lemon extract.
- Mix well and serve hot with rice, roti or paratha
- In place of tomato puree yogurt too can be added and make the gravy.
- Red food color is optional and it is added just to get the red color to the gravy which can be skipped as well.
- In place of red food color, kashmiri red chilli powder too can be added which has good red color and is less spicy.