Moong Dal Khichdi recipe is a rice dish made with yellow moong dal also called as green gram. Its a delicious healthy recipe with lots of health benefits. Moong dal is usually green and yellow in color. This dal khichdi recipe is made with yellow moong dal.
Khichdi can be made with any dal mainly masoor dal(red gram) or moong dal (yellow dal) and is a very yummy dish that is popular in India and mostly in Hyderabad.
Khichdi is a dish that can be made when we are bored of eating plain white rice and willing to eat something different and yet light and tasty. In Hyderabad Khichdi usually goes well with Til ka khatta or til chutney, a chutney made with sesame seeds also called as ‘Til’ in hindi lingo.
The color of this dish is ‘light yellow’ and the flavor of the dish is not spicy and very light. Any type of khichdi is likeable depending on the ingredients that are added into it.
Khichdi recipe is eaten and loved by everyone from kids to young one’s. Dal Khichdi is one of my favorites when my family is bored of eating plain rice.
The moong dal khichdi has got lots of health benefits as it has got moong dal, which is good for health and mostly given to kids to eat as this khichdi is easily digestible and not very heavy for the intestines, very light to eat, tasty and nutritious.
The taste can be lifted up by adding ghee over the top of the dish especially to feed the kids.
It is almost similar to the dal khichdi made with masoor dal but here I will be using minimal ingredients to make moong ki khichdi. The texture of the dish is not in the form of paste but the grains are little free to eat and can be eaten with any vegetable curry or chutney.
Let us look into the detailed recipe of making moong dal khichdi.
Step by Step details of making Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe:
Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
- 4 cups of rice
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large size onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1-2 cardamoms
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- Firstly, take a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Add cinnamon stick, caraway seeds, cardamoms and saute.
- Add the chopped onions into it, fry till slight golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, saute well to get rid of the raw smell.
- Add yellow dal, turmeric powder, coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies, mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Add water( 8 cups of water for 4 cups of rice).
- Add salt and bring the water to a boil on medium flame.
- Add washed rice, stir well,cover the lid and allow the rice to cook until it is done on medium flame.
- Cook the rice until all the water is absorbed.
- Keep checking in between as the base may burn if cooked on high flame.To avoid that put it on medium flame.
- Once the water is absorbed, cover the lid tightly and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame. This step makes the rice well cooked.
- Pour ghee over the top and serve with any chutney or curry or khatta.