Stovetop oatmeal is a healthy breakfast option making using rolled oats and milk to cook on a stove and is quick to make, unlike overnight oats. We just need to use some milk, healthy oats which are rich in fibre and then cooking them by combining them together.
Lastly adding some fruits to it makes a quick instant healthy morning breakfast. Other quick healthy recipes to check out on the blog are healthy overnight oats for weight loss, oats smoothie, scrambled egg whites, healthy overnight oats with water, etc...
About Instant Oatmeal
This is a simple and quick to do rolled oatmeal and I suggest making this recipe often for breakfast or for quick meals which can benefit a human in many ways.
I made this using rolled oats by combining with milk to help them cook well and topped it with various chopped fruits and dry fruits. This is a high protein dish easy to make oatmeal on a stove.
This recipe makes a quick wonderful meal full of health benefits as it gives us lots of protein and also helps in weight loss. It is time taking to make overnight oats and one has to wait for at least 3-4 hours to soften the oats and ready to eat.
This dish can be made on a cook-top in just 3-5 minutes by using milk or water. I prefer to use milk which can be almond milk, low-fat milk or normal milk. It has a good amount of calcium.
Do check out other healthy recipes on the blog such as instant ragi dosa, oats dosa etc...
Below are the ingredients to use while cooking rolled oatmeal on a stovetop.
Rolled oats: I am not using instant oats but using rolled oats as they have more benefits and not processed. Using fibre-rich oats keeps us more healthy and help us reach our health goals than using unprocessed oatmeal.
These are available as old fashioned oats in the grocery stores which can be used to make many various recipes.
Milk and salt: Milk preferably low-fat milk is added to give a healthy outcome but for more healthy options one can go for almond milk as well.
I am using 1 cup milk but milk quantity can always be increased if the consistency is too thick to eat.
Adding a pinch of salt is always recommended to enhance the taste of the oatmeal and the real flavours are out from it only by sprinkling some salt.
Honey: This is natural sweetener and helps us eat the quick meal.
Fruits and dry fruits: I have added banana, apple, strawberries, blueberries, sliced almonds. Many other fruits or dry fruits can be topped by chopping to make it healthy and a flavorful diet.
Oatmeal to milk ratio
The ratio to use while making stovetop oatmeal is quite simple. The only to note is oats tend to thicken in milk as they start cooking and absorb water or milk as much as possible and give a thick texture.
The simple solution or ratio for oats to milk to maintain is to add ½ cup of oats to 1 cup of milk or 1.5 cups of milk for perfect consistency.
If not just milk, then adding 1 cup milk and ½ a cup of water while boiling milk for ½ a cup of oats is enough to get a good consistency.
Another simple solution is to add milk as per the consistency desired after cooking and serving the oats in a bowl. Just add milk as per the requirement of consistency, mix well and then top with fruits.
Step by Step Procedure
Check out the detailed instructions on how to make oatmeal on the stovetop.
- Heat a saucepan. Pour 1 cup low-fat milk into a pan. In place of low-fat milk using almond milk is a good idea for more health and weight loss options.
- Add milk as per the consistency of oats is required. For thin consistency, add more milk. It is better to add in the ratio of 0.5 cup oats to 1 or 1.5 cup milk. Another idea is to add ½ cup water and 1 cup of milk for a balance of water and milk.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Add rolled oats. These oats are less processed and provide good benefits in terms of health and are protein-rich.
- Add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavors from oats.
- Give a mix.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat until oats cook well. Stir in between.
- Switch off the flame. Add honey. To make it edible and to give slight sweet flavours adding honey is a better option.
- Mix everything and serve immediately to avoid more thickening.
- Transfer the oats to a bowl. Add apple, banana slices. Add chopped strawberries, blueberries, almond slices. Serve and enjoy this instant meal.
- Do not add sugar to the oatmeal and add honey as a healthy option if looking forward to quickly lose weight.
- Adding any favourite fruit and serving a bowl of oatmeal is a healthy breakfast option.
- Rolled oats are higher in fibre than processed instant oats and avoid processed oats for more weight loss benefits.
- Rolled oats help in reducing cholesterol levels as well as control blood sugar levels.
- It helps to lose weight if an oat diet is followed regularly and avoiding sugary foods as well.
- Oats help in good digestion too.
- This is the best and healthy meal to include in our daily diet to help lose weight and maintain cholesterol levels.
Stovetop Oatmeal Recipe Instant and Healthy
- 1 cup low fat milk (add more for thin consistency)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup apple cubes, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced banana
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 4 strawberries, chopped
- 3 chopped blueberries
- Heat a saucepan.
- Pour 1 cup low fat milk in a pan.
- Add milk as per consistency of oats is required.
- For thin consistency, add more milk.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Add rolled oats.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Stir well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat until oats cook well.
- Stir in between.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add honey.
- Stir well.
- Transfer the oats in a bowl.
- Add apple and banana slices.
- Add chopped strawberries, blueberries, almond slices.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Many other fruits which each individual prefers can be used as oats taste well with lots of fruits and dry fruits including dates, pistachio, almonds.
- Fruits of any kind such as mango, pineapple too can be used.
I would suggest using milk of any kind to get extra benefits as milk is packed with full of calcium and oats are rich in protein.
Together combined they both a tasty combination. Oats cooked with water tend to be less tasty as it is my own experience and this is the perfect recipe to make yummy oatmeal on stove.
In simple words, use milk for more health benefits and for better taste.
if cooked using water, it is a good idea to use 1 cup water for ½ a cup of oats for a thick consistency and add ½ cup water more for a slightly thin consistency.
Oats combined with fruits give a healthy meal and fruits are rich in vitamins as well as taste great if mixed with oats. Therefore, add any kind of fruits to make it edible, delicious and healthy.
Yes, it is a healthy meal with benefits such as reduces cholesterol levels, reduces blood sugar levels, aids in weight loss and prevents constipation if eaten as a morning breakfast. Have it daily with different fruits for good health options.
It is always a good idea to let oats sit overnight in milk, water or yoghurt and since the oats are cooked on a stove and made instantly they can be less good than overnight oats.
Overnight oats soaked for long hours is more a better option than having instant stovetop oatmeal.
Yes, boil milk in a microwave for 2 minutes in a bowl and then add oats, mix and cook for 3 minutes. They cook faster than a stovetop and is an instant way to make oats other than to make on a cooktop
- In order to cook oats quickly boil milk/water first and then add rolled oats as this can speed up the cooking process quickly.
- If added both simultaneously the oatmeal on the stove can take a longer time to cook.
- Always add fresh fruits by chopping finely as chopped or sliced fruits or dry fruits go well compared to adding whole berries or big chunks.
Leave a Reply