Dosa Batter Recipe is a batter mostly used to make plain dosa or masala dosa all across South India or North India.
Watch these video recipes for more help:
- onion dosa
- south indian masala dosa
- rava dosa or onion rava dosa
- pesarattu recipe or pesarattu dosa
- wheat dosa with atta or gothambu dosa
South Indian breakfasts like dosa, idli and poori were quite popular in south india but now their popularity has been increasing world wide.
I always had on mind to post this article on making dosa batter and finally I am posting the secrets on making a delicious restaurant style dosa making procedure recipe.
We always try to get perfect dosas but despite many attempts we don’t get perfect dosas and if this article is followed well then one can easily make hotel style dosa or south indian style dosa at home be it a plain dosa or masala dosa or onion dosa with this batter.
Making dosa batter is a long process but is worth when we get the perfect dosa and it tastes best when eaten with certain chutneys like onion tomato chutney, green chilli chutney, coconut chutney, peanut chutney .
It requires a few ingredients but when the batter is ready it is very important to ferment the batter for a long time.
Points to be noted while making dosa batter:
1. The ratio of rice and urad dal(mina pappu/black gram) should always be 2:1.
2.Adding few fenugreek seeds and few chana dal into them gives the golden color that we look for in making dosa.
3.The ingredients need to be soaked for a long time i.e atleast for 7-8 hours.
4.When the ingredients are soaked and blended, the batter should again be fermented for another 7-8 hours.
5.Always use a good non stick tawa to make dosa.
6.Do not use tawas on which rotis are made as the dosa made on such tawa might stick to the bottom of the tawa.
7.Always use a ladle to make dosa which give out a perfectly circular shape dosas.
Video On How To Make Dosa Batter Recipe:
Also check out the recipe video of onion dosa for a better understanding…
How To Make Dosa Batter Recipe:
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup urad dal(split black gram)
- ½ tsp methi seeds(fenugreek seeds)
- ½ tsp chana dal
- 1 cup cooked rice
- water for soaking the ingredients
- Firstly in a bowl, add rice, wash it well and add enough water so that the rice is dipped well.
- In another bowl, add urad dal(split black gram), wash it well and add enough water.
- In small bowls, add in chana dal and methi seeds, add water into them.
- Soak all the ingredients for 7-8 hours or soak them during the day.
- After soaking drain the water out from all the ingredients.
- Mix all the soaked ingredients.
- Take a blender, add those ingredients and blend it into a fine paste in batches.
- If required add very little water and blend the batter.
- Make a paste of cooked rice and add it to the blended batter.
- Mix the batter well and ferment the batter overnight.
- Add in salt into the batter as per taste, mix well and the batter is ready to be used to make dosa.
- Keep the batter ready.
- If the batter is too thick add few drops of water and mix it well.
- Heat the tawa.
- Take a ladle full of dosa batter and put the batter at the centre of the tawa.
- From the centre rotate the batter in circular motion and spread it circularly to form a round thin dosa.
- Try to spread the batter as a very thin circular dosa.
- Drizzle oil all over the dosa and at the corners of the dosa.
- Cook it for few minutes and remove the dosa.
- Serve hot with sambar or chutney etc...