For weight loss, a green tea recipe is a simple tea to make using dried tea leaves or green tea bags. This is one of the healthy tea recipes to make and drink any time of the day especially if one is looking for healthy beverages.
Therefore, check out this recipe post which describes everything about green tea from the recipe to its benefits and why it is a healthy drink. Other beverages on the blog to help with weight loss are lemon ginger tea for weight loss, weight loss turmeric tea, black coffee recipe for weight loss etc...
About the tea
To make drinks or teas using green tea with many variations and modifications adding other healthy herbs and spices is essential to get more benefits out of it. The main and basic requirement to make it are two simple ingredients: water and green tea.
Making a green tea recipe takes as little as 4-5 minutes and depends on how strong tea preferences one has. These days many readily available green tea bags are available as well as loose tea leaves to make the best green tea.
To make green tea one only requires green tea leaves and water in order to make a plain drink. For more additional flavours, one can go with many enhancements.
Is green tea a healthy option?
Yes, since it is made using fewer processing methods whereas other tea leaves undergo many processing techniques. It is mainly processed by drying the leaves from a plant named Camellia Sinesis and this tea is known to have many medicinal properties all over the world.
Substituting this best healthy tea with other unhealthy tea habits can play a good role in maintaining better health. Green tea, a highly grown plant in East Asia consists of catechins known as EGCG that can help in the process of burning fat as well as in losing weight.
It is rich in antioxidants and is one of the healthiest teas other than black tea. Green tea catechins play a major role in maintaining overall body fat and help cut down or burn them by breaking down those fats in the body.
Not only does it have weight loss benefits but also has many other benefits. Scroll down below to read and know more.
Below are some of the benefits that are known to help in treating certain health conditions and among them some are backed by evidence whereas some are not. Please do a thorough check or seek a doctor's help while following or believing in them.
Green tea is known to reduce the risk of heart diseases by lowering cholesterol levels in the body. Also, aids in reducing abdominal fat or belly fat.
It also helps to prevent cancer of different types such as skin cancer or many other cancer types. Having said this there is not much evidence and proof that they can a hundred per cent work in preventing cancers.
Catechins in green tea help in improving the metabolism of the body and also help in burning the fat that aids in weight loss with a simple low-calorie drink. Therefore, add this drink to your weight loss diet plans and enjoy the benefits.
It contains caffeine as well which helps or acts as a stimulant by boosting the energy levels as well as increasing the metabolism of the body.
Related healthy beverages:
Does it contain caffeine?
Yes, it does contain caffeine but less compared to other beverages. For example, coffee contains more caffeine in 8 oz of coffee ranging from 90mg t0 170 mg approximately whereas green tea contains caffeine ranging from 20 to 30 mg in 8 oz of tea.
Comparing both drinks, green tea wins and is safe to drink daily but limiting its quantity on a daily basis is a good idea. Consuming the tea in more quantities can lead to high levels of caffeine in the body that can exceed the daily average limit leading to unwanted consequences or side effects.
It contains fewer caffeine levels compared to other teas or coffee and sipping in a few cups a day is more helpful than sipping unhealthy drinks that can help in reducing stress levels and giving the energy to do the rest of the tasks.
How many forms of green tea are available?
There are many varieties and types of green teas available which are in different types and various forms. Common forms include green tea leaves, tea bags as well as in powdered forms.
While buying green tea in any form make sure to look for tea that is either organic or is available with the written label "100% green tea". This indicates that the tea sold in the stores is not adulterated and is good to buy.
Different tea packs sold are not a hundred per cent pure and do not bring any positive results to the body.
Therefore, buying them in their pure form is more beneficial. One common brand in the market is Lipton green tea, a brand that's been selling tea for many years with several green tea flavours.
There are also many other options and brands to choose from but make sure the one that is picked up is of good quality and 100% pure form.
Tea leaves if exposed to air absorb moisture and lose their freshness. Therefore storing them in airtight containers or in resealable containers is a good option. Airtight containers with tea leaves inside that are sealed tightly can be stored in the refrigerator and not opening them frequently may help retain their freshness.
Opening the tea leaves containers frequently tends to lose their fresh taste after brewing. Hence, do not buy tea leaves from open containers in stores as loosely kept green tea does not give a good fresh taste.
Keep them airtight as much as possible and avoid storing them at room temperature for a long time and refrigeration is a better idea as refrigeration protects tea from light.
Make small airtight packs if stored at room temperature and avoid tins to store them. Opt for resealable bags as excess air can be removed easily from these ziplock bags.
The more airtight the container, the drier the leaves get and do not get moist. Therefore, help keep the leaves fresh for a long time. Different tea leaves are processed in different ways and there are many types and brands in which green tea is available. Always make sure the leaves are from a good quality brand.
Ways of making green tea
Always check before buying green tea and make sure there are no artificial sugars or added sugars as they increase the calorie value. We are trying to make it a low-calorie drink and the sugars in it make it high calorie and prevent the fat burning process.
1. Making green tea with leaves
- Add water to a saucepan, and bring it to a boil but not to the boiling point. Just let it reach the temperature of 80C to 85C and not go beyond it.
- Add the green tea leaves into the water and let them steep for not more than 2 to 3 minutes.
- The more we steep, the bitter the taste of tea becomes. Be careful while steeping the tea.
- Strain immediately using a strainer after 2 or 3 minutes into a cup, mug or glass.
- Add sweeteners such as honey to enhance the plain taste of tea.
2. Making green tea recipe with a tea bag
- Boil the water in a saucepan and make sure to follow the right temperature and that is a little below the boiling point.
- Place a tea bag in the cup with the thread hanging outside the cup so that the bag can be removed easily.
- Pour the water into the cup.
- Let it steep for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bag from the cup.
- For a more bitter taste steep the bag quickly for a few more seconds say 30 seconds once or twice and not more.
3. How to make green tea recipe with powder
- Green tea powder, made from powdering the green tea leaves is also known as matcha powder. It is popularly known as Japanese green tea.
- Take a small bowl or a cup add 1 teaspoon green tea powder, add 2 to 3 tablespoon water little by little and whisk it well.
- Whisking is important to avoid lumps.
- Now pour boiled water or steamed milk and enjoy green tea in powdered form.
4. Green tea recipe with holy basil
A natural way of making green tea recipe when no tea leaves or tea bags are available. This medicinal tea has many medicinal benefits than store-bought teas.
- Add water to a saucepan.
- Add some 5-6 holy basil or tulsi leaves to the water.
- Let them steep well for a few minutes, say 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take them out and strain the natural and herbal green tea drink.
- Add honey, and lemon, stir and serve.
Check out the list of additional ingredients to add to green tea to make it tastier as well as boost the process of weight loss.
Adding different ingredients such as honey adds taste and sweetness to the plain tea. It helps in consuming the tea easily as well as has its own benefits with respect to weight loss.
To this tea, adding lemon also enhances the taste and makes it more beneficial to burn fat. Also, adding mint makes it stronger and helps us reach our goals.
Also, other spice such as cinnamon is an effective ingredient added to the green tea process while steeping in order to boost the weight loss process.
Another essential ingredient is ginger which can be used as fresh, dried ginger or ginger powder while making tea with tea leaves.
When to drink green tea?
Drinking green tea 2 or 3 times and overall 3 cups a day is fine. Limiting its quantity can lessen the caffeine intake as it contains caffeine in it. The more caffeine intake, the higher the negative effects.
Always make sure to have a cup of tea with breakfast and the rest can be taken during lunch or evening to bring back the freshness and energy to handle demanding tasks.
Just limit the size of the cup from 2 oz cup to 4 oz cup. Consuming more quantities may act as a stimulant and also can increase caffeine levels.
Have it along with meals by substituting other high-calorie unhealthy drinks and go for this type of low-calorie drink. Following regularly can help lose weight in 2 weeks to 1 month.
Side effects of green tea
Too much intake of green tea can cause stomach upset issues and brewing the tea strongly to consume may also cause headaches.
The more the quantity in a day, the more sleep disorders one faces.
Can cause diarrhoea and may also increase the blood pressure levels in the body.
It also flushes the calcium out of the body with more intake per day and causes weak bone issues.
Green tea Iced Variation
In the above recipes, I have shared hot teas using tea leaves or tea bags and there are some who prefer to make green tea cold or iced variations too. Therefore, check out the recipe below using ice cubes.
Iced Green Tea:
- 2 cups water
- two green tea bags
- 2 cups ice cubes or 2 cups cold water
- lemon slices 2-3
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Take a saucepan, add water and bring it to a boil.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and not be boiling.
- Use a mason jar or a pitcher.
- Place green tea bags into the pitcher. and pour boiled water into it.
- let the tea bags steep or brew for a few minutes(say2-3 minutes).
- Brew for a minute or two for strong flavour.
- Take the green tea bags out.
- Add ice cubes or add ice cold water to it.
- Also, add honey and stir.
- Add lemon slices for a good taste.
- Place the jar or pitcher in the refrigerator and enjoy the drink during the day as needed.
- Do not refrigerate or use the drink for more than 24 hours. Use within 24 hours as it does not last fresh for more than a day.
Other weight loss recipes
- detox smoothies to lose weight
- smoothies to lose belly fat
- optavia lean and green meals
- chicken breast recipes to lose weight
Green tea recipe for weight loss
Green tea with tea leaves
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon green tea leaves
- few drops of lemon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon honey (optional)
Green tea with tea bag
- 2 green tea bags (good quality brand)
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon honey
- few drops of lemon
Green tea with leaves
- Take a saucepan, add water and bring it to a boil and not over boil it.
- Once it boils, add green tea leaves and steep for two to three minutes and not more.
- Take it out from the stove and strain it immediately into a cup.
- Add honey and stir to consume to bring a sweet taste.
- Also, add lemon and mint for more weight loss benefits.
Green tea with tea bags
- Take a saucepan and boil two cups of water or boil two cups of water in a microwave.
- Take two cups, place tea bags in it.
- Pour water into the cups with tea bags.
- Steep them for two to three minutes, it gets bitter the more we steep.
- For more bitter flavors, steep for few more seconds.
- Take the bags out.
- Serve the green tea by adding honey, lemon and grated ginger for more benefits.
- Can add any spice or herb such as mint.
- To sweeten it, add honey.
- To make it flavorful, add ginger pieces while steeping.
- Can also use cinnamon powder for additional flavours.
Steeping for more than 2 to 3 minutes gives the right and balanced flavours. The more you steep, the bitter the tea becomes.
Consuming more than 3 cups can increase the caffeine content and may cause other side effects. Make sure to consume in limited quantity.
Yes, regular consumption may help lose fat around the abdomen but also helps maintain overall weight in a steady manner and not increase it.