Shami kabab recipe Hyderabadi or mutton shami kabab recipe is a famous hyderabadi kabab dish which is made with mutton.
The shami is an authentic Hyderabadi cuisine which is made by a paste of meat and chana dal(chick pea lentils). Also check a meat kofta recipe which is nargisi kofta and it is too a hyderabadi delicacy...
Related Hyderabadi Recipes with meat/mutton:
The shami kabab are in the form of mutton patties or mutton kabab which are shallow fried in oil and they are usually eaten with rice or can be eaten as a side dish along with dal recipes such as khatti dal .
The texture is very smooth and they can be made into any shape be it round or oval or the shape you prefer. They are a widely popular snack item in muslim households. It also is a ramazan special starter or snack recipe.
Shami kabab recipe is one of the best recipes that can be picked up from Hyderabadi cuisine. The procedure requires very few ingredients and can be made very easily.
This is a non veg snack item but can also be made with vegetables. The mutton combination along with chana dal or chick pea lentils give the mutton kababs or mutton patties an extraordinary flavor.
Basically, chana dal is added to give a perfect binding for the shami kabab recipe. The kababs may not turn out perfectly if the binding is not right. The recipe also requires spices to give a wonderful aroma.
Kababs or kebabs are of different kind and can be made into various varieties such as galouti kabab, chapli kebab, chicken kabab, veg kabab , burrah kabab, kakori kabab, seekh kebabs etc...In veg kababs hara bhara kababs are very popular.
Many more kababs are popular not only in India but also kababs are very common throughout the world. The basic ingredient for kebabs is usually meat but meat can be substituted by chicken, fish etc...
Kebabs can be grilled or fried but this shami kebab recipe is slightly shallow fried in oil and not deep fried or grilled.
Let us take a detailed look into the making process of the kababs below...
Hyderabadi shami kabab recipe or mutton shami kebab recipe:
Shami Kabab Recipe Hyderabadi
- 500 gms meat/mutton cleaned and washed
- 3 tbsp chana dal/chick pea lentils soaked in water for half an hour
- 3-4 green chillies
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt - to taste
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp elaichi powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- oil for shallow frying
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, add the mutton, and roast it for about two minutes.
- Add salt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder.
- Add green chillies, add chopped coriander leaves.
- Add the chana dal which has been soaked.
- Add 1 cinnamon stick and elaichi powder.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and add about 1 cup of water.
- Pressure cook the whole mixture until the mutton gets tender or for about 4-5 whistles on sim flame.
- If there is any water remaining in the mutton mixture then cook it until the water is absorbed totally.
- Allow the mixture of mutton to cool down completely.
- Blend the mixture of mutton into a fine paste(do not add water) and rest the dough paste in refrigerator for about 10 - 15 minutes for the mutton paste to become thick.
- When you want to fry, take a small ball portion of the mutton dough, apply oil on palms and make the kabab of any shape.
- Round shape or oval shape or any shape is preferred. Make as many kababs as you prefer.
- Heat the tawa, add about 2 tbsp oil, place the kababs on the tawa/griddle and shallow fry until a golden brown color appears at the bottom side of the kabab.
- Smear oil over the top of the kababs and flip them.
- Similarly, shallow fry the rest of the side until a golden brown color appears.
- Take them out and serve them on an absorbent paper.
- Serve the shami kababs with lemon and onions.
- Eat them along with dal or roti.
2.Chana dal is usually added for binding of the kababs. Excess adding of chana dal may also lead to breaking of shami kababs while shallow frying.
3.There should not be any amount of water before blending the mutton into a paste.
The mutton dough can be kept in refrigerator and can be used for two to three days.