Veg biryani in cooker is a quick rice delicacy made my mixing rice in sauteed veggies.
Making vegetable biryani or any other biryani is time consuming and needs a lot of patience. This veg biryani needs no patience and can be made very quickly with some of the basic veggies that are easily available at home on day to day basis.
I have used here potatoes, carrots, peas and beans and made a delicious biryani that is as good as a normal veg dum biryani or a hyderabadi veg dum biryani or hyderabadi veg biryani.
This kind of biryani is also called as vegetable tahiri but the difference is I have pressure cooked the biryani here and in normal veg tahiri we generally cook the rice in normal slow cooking method.
Basically, any kind of biryani should be made using slow cooking or dum method as it is usually called and that is the best way of making biryani.
But, this article is mainly about quick and easy rice recipe that works good for busy office goers and for kids too who wants to carry some delicious lunch for school.
I have made slight variations to a normal biryani and pressure cooked the vegetables and rice together and it gives a very yummy taste.
Here, we can use any rice like basmati rice is often used to make various rice delicacies and I somehow would like to stick to ordinary rice as I made this biryani keeping all kinds of blog readers in mind.
Not everybody can afford to buy expensive and I would like to show with this recipe that delicious recipes can be made using ordinary rice too.
It turned out more better than one can get using basmati rice.
I have used very common vegetables as these veggies can be managed to get at anytime of the year and we can also add additional vegetables like small cauliflower florets and also paneer cubes along with the common vegetables like aloo, beans, matar, gajar etc...
This is one of the special rice recipes using quick methods and would also like to share veg biryani recipes using slow cooking dum method too...
This biryani that is shared below can be served with bagara baingan or mirchi ka salan.
Video procedure for veg biryani in pressure cooker:
How to make veg biryani in cooker:
veg biryani in cooker, how to make vegetable biryani recipe in cooker
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- whole garam masala 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 1 cardamom
- ½ tsp shahi zeera caraway seeds
- 2 onions finely sliced
- 3-4 green chillies slit and cut into long pieces
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 potato peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into small slices
- 6-7 green beans chopped into long pieces
- ½ cup green peas/matar
- 1 to mato chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp beaten yogurt/curd
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper corn powder
- 3.5 cups water 250 gms
- 2 tbsp freshlly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves/pudina
- 2 cups ordinary rice
- Take a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp oil and heat it.
- Add a bay leaf, whole garam masala that is cinnamon stick, cardamom and cloves, shahi zeera and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and cook them until onions turn soft.
- Add chopped green chillies, cook the onions until they turn slight golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes on low flame until raw smell disappears.
- Add the potato cubes, carrot slices, green beans, matar, mix and saute well for few minutes.
- Add the tomato pieces, mix and cook until the tomatoes get soft.
- Add the curd, mix and cook until oil starts releasing.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder.
- Mix and cook until the masala is cooked well and until oil starts releasing at the sides.
- Add 3.5 cups of water, add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, mix well.
- Add 2 cups rice, mix well.
- Add salt if required and give a mix.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Reduce the steam.
- Remove the lid.
- Veg biryani in cooker is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with raita or any biryani side dish.
2. Sauteing well gives a real good taste to the veggies in pressure cooking method.
3. Using high flame burns the biryani at the base and please be careful and do not use low flame or high flame.
4. If basmati rice is used then, soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes before adding them into the cooker.
5. Additional veggies like cauliflower and paneer too can be added along with the other veggies.