Egg biryani or anda biryani made using pressure cooking method is the simplest and quickest form of making biryani with one pot method.
What is Egg biryani?
It is simply made by stir frying boiled eggs and cooking them in masala gravy specially made as a biryani gravy and then adding rice to water and pressure cooking the rice.
The rice turns out flavorful because of the masala and the eggs too give an amazing flavor and aroma to the rice.
Here, I have made using pressure cooking one pot best method to make quick biryani and I have also shared a vegetarian version of making veg biryani in cooker which is similar to this method but it has been made using just plain veggies in cooker method…
Other biryani and pulao recipes:
I have also shared traditional style of making egg biryani which is the dum method of making egg dum biryani hyderabadi style. Do check it out to make the recipe in dum procedure which is easy as well.
Different egg recipes indian style?
I have already shared various indian egg recipes on the blog but to find out special rice recipes made using eggs then do try egg pulao, egg fried rice which go well with raita such as onion raita , boondi raita or cucumber raita.
Eggs can be used to make various kinds of dishes ranging from starters to rice recipes to snacks and eggs are often used as healthy way in sandwiches or to make omelette recipes.
Very soon I would be sharing and adding many more egg recipes which would be liked by egg lovers and hopefully there will be video for the egg recipes I share as well.
Benefits of Eggs:
Eggs are a rich source of proteins and including eggs in our diet builds our muscles, it is rich in vitamins and is a good source of calcium.
Eggs if included in the form of boiled are much more healthier than eating in fried form.
I would also be updating various healthy egg dishes as I keep posting.
How to make anda biryani recipe:
To make this easy biryani using boiled eggs, the eggs need to be boiled first, then slit them slightly stir fry them in spices. Do not fry as egg fry but just fry them slightly sauteing in little spices.
Take a cooker and add oil and fry the onions in whole spices for flavorful aroma, then the gravy is made by adding onions, tomatoes and yogurt.
Yogurt and tomatoes combined give the gravy a masala flavor which help in lifting up the biryani flavors.
The gravy is then made even more tastier by adding various spices, herbs and cooking it well. The rice is then cooked in the cooked gravy by giving a whistle with the help of a pressure cooker.
The rice used here is basmati rice but one can even make use of ordinary sona masoori rice too… If basmati rice is used then do soak the rice for few minutes which help resulting in long grains of rice.
Ratio of rice to water for pressure cooker biryani:
Always make sure the ratio of water to rice should be in such a way that water is half cup less to the usual amount of water added to rice.
For example, if we add 2 cups of rice, normally we add 4 cups of water to cook rice in traditional slow cooking method, but, to cook rice in pressure cooking style just add 3.5 cups of water to 2 cups of rice.
If adding 3 cups of rice then add either 5 cups of water or 5.5 cups of water that is little less than what is usually added in slow cooking rice method.
If water added is more then the rice turns out soggy and does not taste and appear good.
How many whistles to be given:
It completely depends on how pressure is released.
- If pressure is released naturally, then just give 1 whistle.
- If pressure is removed quickly then 2 whistles should be given.
- Whistles more than 2 burns the rice at the bottom.
Step by step recipe procedure for egg biryani:
Steps to stir fry the boiled eggs:
Boil eggs and peel them.
Take a pan, add oil and heat it.
Add dry spices such as salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder.
Slit the peeled boiled eggs slightly and add them into the pan.
Stir fry the eggs carefully for 5-6 minutes.
Place them aside for later use.
Steps to make the biryani:
Take a pressure cooker, add oil, heat it and add spices such as cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves and shahi zeera.
Add sliced onions and stir fry them until they turn slight golden in color.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes to get rid of raw smell.
Add the tomatoes, mix and cook them until soft.
Add the yogurt into the gravy and give a mix.
Add the spices such as salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder into it.
Cook the gravy until oil releases from the ends.
Add 5 cups of water to the gravy.
Check for salt consistency and add as per requirement.
Add the soaked basmati rice into the water, mix well or stir.
Add the stir fried boiled eggs.
Add coriander leaves, mint leaves, slit green chilies, fried onions on the top.
Add black pepper powder and garam masala powder.
Cover the lid of the pressure cooker, give one whistle and switch of the flame.
Release the pressure naturally or let the steam escape completely in its natural way.
Remove the lid carefully once pressure escapes.
Allow the biryani lid to be uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
Biryani is ready to be served.
Serve hot with onion raita or mirchi ka salan or masala baingan or gutti vankaya curry. This can also be served with non veg recipes such as chicken starters like tandoori chicken in oven or chicken 65 or chicken pakoda.
Video procedure to make the recipe is below:
How to make egg biryani recipe or anda biryani below:
Egg biryani recipe in pressure cooker, anda biryani
To boil eggs:
- 5 eggs (boiled and peeled)
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder/haldi
To cook the biryani:
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 medium size cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves/ loung
- 2 cardamoms/elaichi
- 1/2 tsp shahi zeera/black cumin
- 4 medium size onions (finely sliced)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup yogurt/ curd
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups basmati rice (soaked for 30 minutes)
- 5 stir fried boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp fried onions
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
To stir fry the boiled eggs:
- Boil eggs and peel them.
- Take a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add dry spices such as salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder.
- Slit the eggs slightly and add them into the pan.
- Stir fry the eggs carefully for 5-6 minutes.
- Place them aside for later use.
Cooking the anda biryani:
- Take a pressure cooker, add oil, heat it and add spices such as cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves and shahi zeera.
- Add sliced onions and stir fry them until they turn slight golden in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes to get rid of raw smell.
- Add the tomatoes, mix and cook them until soft.
- Add the yogurt into the gravy and give a mix.
- Add the spices such as salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder into it.
- Cook the gravy until oil releases from the ends.
- Add 5 cups of water to the gravy.
- Add the soaked basmati rice into the water, mix well or stir.
- Check for salt consistency and add as per requirement.
- Add the stir fried boiled eggs.
- Add coriander leaves, mint leaves, slit green chilies, fried onions on the top.
- Add black pepper powder and garam masala powder.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Give one whistle and switch of the flame.
- Release the pressure naturally or let the steam escape completely in its natural way.
- Remove the lid carefully once pressure escapes.
- Allow the biryani lid to be uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- Biryani is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with raita or mirchi ka salan